It was our second and last morning in Eden and we were on our way back up the coast on the return journey to Sydney. This time we headed to Quarantine Bay not far from where we were staying. Our route would take us from Quarantine Bay to Kiama, but we planned to get another sunrise in first and hopefully spot some more pelicans.
We were blessed yet again with a beautiful sunrise…. the weather gods were being truly kind to us.
Leaving Quarantine Bay behind us we headed off in search of coffee. Desperately in search of coffee. Heads up, in Eden on a sunday NO coffee shops, cafe’s, bakeries or anything remotely similar to coffee sellers are open before 9am. It was only 7.30am. We started heading out of Eden with the niave hope that there would be something open in the next town. No. Nor the next one, nor the one after that. It wasnt till we were going through Cobargo around 8.30am that we found a little bakery open that sold coffee and cakes. To this day the baker remains blissfully unaware the role she played in our survival.
Fortified and revived we stopped at Corunna Lake and Tuross River before reaching our first planned photo stop – the Ulladulla Lighthouse
Warden Head Light a.k.a Ulladulla Lighthouse
The Warden Head lighthouse is an active lighthouse on a headland south of Ulladulla. Built in 1873, the original oil lamp was replaced in 1920 with a flashing light powered by acetylene gas for automatic operation and the station was demanned. In 1964 it was converted to electricity. The light is now battery operated and is only one of two lighthouses in NSW made from iron plates.
From Ulladulla we headed to our next lighthouse stop – the Point Perpendicular Lightstation
Point Perpendicular is still an operating military base and we were required to show ID to enter, along with a head count of the car. I was waiting for them to get out the mirrors on long poles to check under the car 😉
The travel brochures promised “Drive through natural scrub and beautiful spring wildflowers to Point Perpendicular Lighthouse, and the spectacular escarpment at Jervis Bay” …. ummmm sorry, saw no wildflowers and no escarpment. Did do another few km’s on NSW Parks favourite surface though. Rutted, pot holed gravel and dirt roads. And while this lighthouse didnt reward us with snakes we did see a wallaby and a rabbit
We finally arrived in Kiama late afternoon, and with fading light headed for the Kiama Lighthouse (we were on for a hat trick) and the Kiama Blowhole.
The Kiama Lighthouse was built in 1887 with an oil burner light that was visible for nine miles. It was upgraded to gas in 1920 and demanned. In 1969 it was connected to mains electricity.
The Kiama Blowhole was discovered by George Bass in 1797 and sits alongside the Kiama Lighthouse. Huge, spectacular plumes of water shoot up from the blowhole every few seconds. We spent a pleasant hour or so at the blowhole and lighthouse before heading into town for dinner and then to our B’n’B for the night.